Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself
Tolstoy

Is it me or the world is so messed up (not to say the “f” word) nowadays? Or am I suffering from some kind of mental illness that all I can see around me are shades of grey? Is this world, we were supposed to leave for our children as an heritage, going to survive long enough to the daily atrocities we’re causing it? Or am I living some kind of delusional voyeuristic state of mind and at any time I will wake up from this nightmare and will afterwards realize that it was just my mind playing tricks on me? I wish I could leave in a perfect world where man would help each other; where man would understand each other without cultural barriers, without religious or racial prejudice, without ethnical hate, without discrimination of any kind (Oh my gosh, just now I realise that this resembles so much Lennon or Luther King and both were killed because of defending their believes – Ok, Lennon was shot by a lunatic) but isn’t that what we all, in the depths of our souls, truly, dearly, wish? Yeah, right, say that to warlords like Mugabe or al-Bashir responsible for millions of killings, responsible for genocides in countries like Sudan or Zimbabwe. Say that to Mr. W (in my opinion he’s no different from the aforementioned). Dare to say so to bin Laden, mastermind of the infamous 9/11 attacks in US territory. Sorry if I seem too pessimistic but everytime I turn on the TV and watch the news, I get more and more aware that we are heading for self destruction.
Not all news are bad though; maybe there’s still hope as Israeli troops retreat from Gaza leaving behind a trace of destruction and killing; maybe there’s still time for our mother Earth as all eyes are on president-elect Barack Obama inauguration day; perhaps he is the black Messiah, the saviour we were all waiting for. Nevertheless let’s keep our feet on the ground because one man only, despite of being world’s most powerful man, is not the panacea for world’s diseases. It’s obligation of every and single one of us to give Mr. Obama a precious hand on the hard endeavour of making this world a better place for generations to come. On this Martin Luther King Jr. day let’s get together around our communities and give hands to those most needing our help. Be bold, be audacious and dare to say “I [also] have a dream”.
This is the sincere appeal of a Portuguese idealistic young man, father of one beautiful little princess, who refuses to accept that mankind is condemned to failure and to inevitable self-destruction or extinction.

Comments (4)

On January 20, 2009 at 3:19 PM , Decor To Adore said...

I think all of us feel like this at one time or another. When I get down I listen to "Three Little Birds" by Bob Marley or read the story of The Starfish.

http://llerrah.com/thestarfish.htm

Afterwards I feel better and continue to recycle, volunteer and make a difference even if it is only in the lives of my 2 kids.

 
On January 21, 2009 at 7:17 PM , Guy de Maupassant said...

Thanks for the tip!!! Already followed your advice and read the star fish story and let me tell you how beautiful and meaningful it is!!!

 
On January 22, 2009 at 11:16 PM , Anonymous said...

good luck for sunday morning in Ihavo city ;-)

 
On January 23, 2009 at 1:23 PM , Caitlin at Healthy Tipping Point said...

hopefully america just got a little less fucked up! :)

thanks for stopping by my blog!